Saturday, August 18, 2012

8 day road trip - Day 1: complete

Greetings from Chicago! We successfully arrived yesterday to the Windy City and completed leg #1 of the journey. I wish I had some words of wisdom or some cool pictures from the drive, but to be honest there weren't many interesting things along I-80 in Ohio and Indiana. Although we did pass an exit for the RVMH Hall of Fame, and upon further investigation using his iPhone, George discovered that it was the Recreational Vehicle and Manufactured Home Hall of Fame. Once I knew that I was pretty mad we didn't stop.

I did take one picture along the drive, and it was of a water tower that said South Bend. That's right, we were in the same town that is home to one of the oldest, proudest, and most annoying football programs in history. So I felt pretty special to be on such sacred grounds, and since I dislike Notre Dame, I'm not even going to show you the picture.

We ended up eating dinner at a Primanti's-like bar, so it was almost as if we drove 8 hours for absolutely no reason. Not to mention right next to this place there was a miniaturized version of Hofbrauhaus. It's like we had walked to Southside. Then we met up with my friend Alex, who has recently started at Northwestern Medical School. So we went out with Alex and a couple of his classmates and had a great time. I guess there is some free time in medical school to be had.

We could not have asked for better weather, and today we plan on "exploring Chicago." This basically means "do everything in our power to find deep-dish pizza and a Chicago-style hot dog." I am currently using my iPhone (thank god I have an iPhone) to write this post, and I'm unsure how you add pictures to a post. So I'm going to try and see how it turns out. I'll leave you with a picture of the Chicago skyline, taken from the North Avenue beach. I'm told it looks almost as pretty as this in the winter, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment